Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Ipad synthesis

I love me some synthesizers. I've been into synths on computers since the late nineties. It has been really interesting to follow the development of software synths over this time, and I have recently been looking at the synths available on the ipad.

From my experience the ipad can offer a number of advantages over a traditional Mac or PC.

On the ipad controls are much more immediate than those available on a PC. While PCs do have peripherals like keyboards and boxes with knobs, the ipad has the potential for easier, more intuitive controls.
For instance, with a PC, if you want to turn a knob you need to click it and move it, or assign it to a knob and then spin that knob. Potentially on the ipad you could turn as many knobs as the number of fingers you can fit on the screen.. In the real world it can be hard to do usefully adjust more than two knobs at once. But let me see you try to adjust five real physical knobs at once, I can do it easily on the ipad.

This is pretty obvious: the ipad is more portable than a PC. Well if you like fiddling with synths and making crazy sounds then that is great because you can take the synth wherever you go, and if you're watching TV you can fiddle around during commercials

No comments:

Post a Comment